The sneaker enthusiast publication describes a sneaker head as, “someone who buys the same pair of shoes multiple times in order to have a collection of the same pair.“
Globally, the sneaker culture has grown tremendously over the last few decades. Collecting sneakers is no longer a past time activity. The growth and innovation with each sneaker and brand is evident. Not only that but the culture has stood the test of time to showcase just how powerful brands and collaboration can be.
We continue our sneaker lovers quest. This time around, we take a look at Robert Rolo’s sneaker collection and where his love for collecting started.
1. Who is Roberto Rolo and what is the first pair of sneakers you ever received as a child ?
I’m a sneaker enthusiast, 29 years old. Born in Cape Town, South Africa. My first pair of real sneakers that made me fall in love with the game was a pair of Nike Syracruse Dunk Highs’ still have them and wear them a lot. Purchased them around 7 years ago when I was in the states.
2. When did your love for sneakers develop?
As mentioned above, about 7 years ago I really fell in love with collecting sneakers.
3. Cape Town is known for it’s amazing sneaker culture, has living in Cape Town had an influence on your sneaker game?
Man, this is actually a great question. Cape Town sneaker culture is great! I’ve met so many awesome sneaker heads through the game. Some of them are now really good friends of mine. Pages like @Yomzansisneakers, @huntingforkicks_official and @soleknowledge_official do a really good job at showcasing the local scene. They definitely provide me with loads of inspiration.
4. Can you please tell us more about “The Sole Provider ?”
The Sole Provider SA (@thesoleprovider_sa) is a platform whereby individuals can buy, sell and consign sneakers. Our main focus is providing customers with the next big sneaker release. All our products can be shopped on www.thesoleprovider.co.za
5. What are your all time favorite sneaker collaborations and why?
My all-time favourite sneaker colab would be the Jordan 4 x Kaws Colab. I love art – KAWS being one of my favourite artists. The Jordan 4 silhouette is awesome too, I really do think it’s going to be the next sought after Jordan model.
6. What’s your take on the Dior x Nike Jordan 1 collaboration?
I love love love this pair. I have not seen them in person, but based on the reviews I’ve seen the attention to detail is crazy. Love the idea that they combined streetwear and high end fashion. Collaborations like this need to happen more often.
7. Let’s talk about your sneaker collection, how many pairs of sneakers do you own?
I honestly don’t even know haha, my collection changes frequently. I would say 30-40 pairs.
8. You have a very impressive collection of Jordan 1’s, which ones are your favorite and why?
This is a difficult question, but I would say it’s a tie between my Union LA Jordan 1 Black Toes and the CDG Jordan 1’s
9. What’s the most expensive pair do you own and how much was it?
My pair of Union LA Jordan 1’s, got them from the USA via a mate of mine, paid over retail but nowhere near how much they are worth now ($1300).
10. Looking at the 2020 sneaker calendar, which releases are you excited about and why?
The sneaker I’m looking forward to the most at the moment is the Grateful Dead x Nike SB Dunk Low.
Bonus question: What’s your 2020 motto ?
Life’s too short – do what makes you happy (buy the sneakers).
While you’re still contemplating on which pair to buy, check out Robert Rolo’s IG page robertorolo.exe for more insane kicks. Also check out @thesoleprovider_rsa while you’re at it.
3 Replies to “An Inside Look At Roberto Rolo’s Sneaker Collection.”
Thanks for shaaring