Behold, Benzo our Kumkanikazi, the new reigning supreme. I don’t even know where to start, but this 20-year old is now one of the newest baddies with the raps in town. She has had the streets rapping along to her chart topping hit song, “Kumkanikazi” while they are also doing the woo.
Benzo is all for women cementing themselves in the music industry more especially in the rap category, “I see women owning their space in the music industry by being their authentic, powerful, talented, and unapologetic selves. It makes me so proud to be a part of the group of young, iconic and dope women in this industry” said Benzo on an interview with AFROPUNK.
She dropped her debut body of work that was produced by 031 Choppa on the 11th of November 2020. The EP has a total of six songs. We got a chance to ask her a couple of questions:
1. What inspired the overall theme of your very first EP, besides you being a queen obviously?
Besides me being a queen, what inspired the overall theme for my EP was hunger, drive and my culture.
2. What does being a Kumkanikazi mean to you?
Kumkanikazi means “Queen” in Xhosa and that is what I am. Kumkanikazi to me means being a queen ruling in her own lane and ruling it.
3. You dropped some fire bars on your EP, how long have you been rapping for?
I have been rapping since 2018 but only released in 2020.
4. How has been your experience been like since you stepped into music industry as a black woman who raps in vernacular?
It has been beautiful, because even people who do not understand the Xhosa language still bump my music and show love.
5. This question might be such a cliche, but I just think that a joint with you and Dee Koalo would slap, would you do a joint with her and what would the title be?
I would do a joint with her and as for the title it would have to depend on what the song is about.
Check out “Kumkanikazi” on all digital music streaming apps.